How we respect your privacy when we deal with personal information collected by our organisation
If you have any comments or questions about this notice, feel free to contact us at: email@example.com
1. Personal data that we process
The following explains the types of data we collect and the legal basis, under current data protection legislation, on which this data is processed.
- Enquiring about our organisation and its work (data: Name, Email, message): Legitimate interests- it is necessary for us to read and store your message so that we can respond in the way that you would expect.
- Subscribing to email updates about our work (data: Name, Email): Consent – you have given your active consent.
- Making a donation (data: Name, Email, Address, Payment information): Legitimate interests – this information is necessary for us to fulfill your intention of donating money and your expectation of receiving a confirmation message.
- Website functionality (data: Website activity collected through cookies): Legitimate interests – it is necessary for us to store a small amount of information, usually through cookies, to deliver functionality that you would expect, such as remembering the contents of your order before you have fully completed the process.
- Interactive features (data: Name, Email): The Service may contain interactive functionality that allows you to engage with other users on the Services, post comments to forums, to upload photographs and other content (the “User Materials”), participate in surveys, and otherwise to interact with the Services and with other users. If you use any interactive functionality on the Service that request or permit you to provide us with personal information (including, for example, any services that allow you to post User Materials on any of the Service), we collect the Personal Information that you provide to us in the course of using these interactive features. Consent – you have given your active consent.
- Signing up as a participant for Hackathons: (data: Name, Email, Contact number, Country, City, Occupation, Skill, Challenge preference): Consent – you have given your active consent.
- Signing up to get involved in another capacity for Oceanways, ie Scientists, Students, Operators, Corporations, Mentor, Volunteer, Investor, Industry Expert, Not for Profits (data: Name, Email, Contact number, Country, Type of Involvement, Occupation, Skill, Company name, Website): Consent – you have given your active consent.
2. How we use your data
We will only use your data in a manner that is appropriate considering the basis on which that data was collected, as set out in the table at the top of this policy. For example, we may use your personal information to:
- reply to enquiries you send to us;
- handle donations or other transactions that you initiate;
- where you have specifically agreed to this, send you marketing communications by email relating to our work which we think may be of interest to you.
- where you have specifically agreed to this, sending you impact-related communications by email relating to our educational materials in order to assess how effective our educational materials have been.
3. When we share your data
We will only pass your data to third parties in the following circumstances:you have provided your explicit consent for us to pass data to a named third party; we are using a third party purely for the purposes of processing data on our behalf and we have in place a data processing agreement with that third party that fulfils our legal obligations in relation to the use of third party data processors; or we are required by law to share your data. In addition, we will only pass data to third parties outside of the EU where appropriate safeguards are in place as defined by Article 46 of the General Data Protection Regulation.
4. How long we keep your data
We take the principles of data minimisation and removal seriously and have internal policies in place to ensure that we only ever ask for the minimum amount of data for the associated purpose and delete that data promptly once it is no longer required.
Where data is collected on the basis of consent, we will seek renewal of consent at least every three years.
5. Rights you have over your data
You have a range of rights over your data, which include the following:
- Where data processing is based on consent, you may revoke this consent at any time and we will make it as easy as possible for you to do this (for example by putting ‘unsubscribe’ links at the bottom of all our marketing emails).
- You have the right to ask for rectification and/or deletion of your information.
- You have the right of access to your information.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner if you feel your rights have been infringed.
A full summary of your legal rights over your data can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website here: https://ico.org.uk/
If you would like to access the rights listed above, or any other legal rights you have over your data under current legislation, please get in touch with us.
Please note that relying on some of these rights, such as the right to deleting your data, will make it impossible for us to continue to deliver some services to you. However, where possible we will always try to allow the maximum access to your rights while continuing to deliver as many services to you as possible.
6. Cookies & usage tracking
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is downloaded on to your computer when you visit a website. Cookies are used by many websites and can do a number of things, eg remembering your preferences, recording what you have put in your shopping basket, and counting the number of people looking at a website.